Connecting USB scanners and printers to a wireless network

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 3 02:56:05 UTC 2014

On 18/09/14 07:20, rikona wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Monday, September 15, 2014, 7:27:17 PM, Peter wrote:
>
>>    I have been give two netgear PS121-V2 print servers.
> I had a PS121 but could not get it to work with an older Ubuntu. IIRC
> it must have a static IP address set, which is done via a Windows app
> and driver. I still run an HP Jetdirect 300x and a netgear PS101, both
> to parallel ports on older printers [still going strong :-) ] Both can
> be configured with a browser.
>
> If you DO find a way to get it working, please let me know - I'll look
> through my junk box and maybe use it for a newer USB printer.

I got one PS101 to work by setting it up using vitrualbox/WinXp. I was
able to access the printer in linux via the IP address, but Linux could
not find the correct drivers for the printer. The second PS101 could
also be set up uing virtualbox/Winxp but could not be seen from linux.
I edecided these devices are not worth the hassle with linux, and since
I don't really want to continue with virtualbox/XP I am looking for a
different solution.
There are a number of printservers on e-bay which have up to 4 usb
ports. They claim to connects printers, scanners etc to the network. Has
anyone had any experience with these devices?

Regards

Peter Goggin