problems upgrading 14.04 to 14.10 (configuration failures in sysv-rc & grub packages)

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Nov 24 12:08:31 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-05, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> Normally yes, but there's one more test you can run:
>
>   apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate
>
> You may need to sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions.
>
> I've only needed to use it when I've added PPAs that ship packages with
> versions greater than the ones in Ubuntu's main archive (specifically,
> Ubuntu GNOME's semi-experimental gnome-staging PPA).

Good gravy, my laptop has 160 packages with 'No available version in
archive'!  (That seems to include some ubuntuone cruft that I hope to
be able to get rid of since the service has been discontinued; I never
wanted it anyway, but some of the big metapackages dragged that stuff
in).

There are two 'upgradeable' but I know why: older versions of faac &
libfaac that work & are pinned; newer versions are broken (for my
purposes) for copyright/licensing reasons.

And 4 that are 'newer than version in archive':

libosmgpsmap2:amd64 0.7.3-3ubuntu1 newer than version in archive
phonon-backend-gstreamer:amd64 4:4.7.80-0ubuntu2~ubuntu14.04 newer than version in archive
phonon-backend-gstreamer-common:amd64 4:4.7.80-0ubuntu2~ubuntu14.04 newer than version in archive
python-osmgpsmap:amd64 0.7.3-3ubuntu1 newer than version in archive

but I'm not sure why.