problems upgrading 14.04 to 14.10 (configuration failures in sysv-rc & grub packages)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Nov 5 15:16:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 11:34:34AM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2014-11-04, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> Using various arrangements of
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo apt-get autoremove
>
> I have now reached the point where all of them say there's nothing
> left to do.  Can I now safely conclude that the machine in question is
> completely upgraded to 14.10, or are there any more tests to try?

Normally yes, but there's one more test you can run:

  apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate

You may need to sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions.

I've only needed to use it when I've added PPAs that ship packages with
versions greater than the ones in Ubuntu's main archive (specifically,
Ubuntu GNOME's semi-experimental gnome-staging PPA).

Marius Gedminas