Can't Install Skype on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 08:10:57 UTC 2014

James Freer wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Iwan Junaid wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM, James Freer
> > <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just seen another ubuntu derivative distro's release notes on 64 bit
> > skype.
> > "In 64-bit, if you're experiencing issues with Skype, install the
> > package 'ia32-libs'."

> > trying to install ia32-libs i got this

> > E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate

The package ia32-libs is obsolete because *Ubuntu nowadays has its
multiarch support [1].

> After I saw your post I installed Skype as I hadn't got round to it
> since upgrading to xubuntu 14.10. It seemed to work fine but it was
> 32 bit xubuntu..
>
> I saw that post on Mint. I thought I'd try their Mint xcfe on my spare
> machine... the install failed.
>
> Skype claim the download is dual arch... which it obviously isn't.
> Those packages are 32 bit so a 32 bit ubuntu install would seem to be
> a solution.

The skype version available for Ubuntu 14.04 from the Canonical partner
repository is certainly a 32 bit application, that's why there are many
i386 libs necessary. However I could install that package on my 64 bit
machine yesterday. So it should be possible to run skype on a 64 bit
Ubuntu 14.04 system. The OP has a problem of package dependency
conflicts for some reason. If he installed the 32 bit version of Ubuntu
there might be the same dependency problems.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiArch>