Stupid apt-get!

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Mon Nov 10 19:29:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> Ok, I upgraded lightdm from source, but when I do a regular 'apt-get
> upgrade',
> it wants to downgrade lightdm.  The new lightdm I installed actually works
> the
> way I want it to, so how do a tell apt-get to leave it alone!

This is why you don't do source installs.

I'd download the current source package from the repository. I'd then
unpack it, and use it as the basis to roll your own .deb package for the
current lightdm. Or, see if someone has already done that in development,
like perhaps Debian Sid. Once that's done, install it with dpkg.
Debianizing a package isn't trivial, but it's a valuable skill. Once you
know how to do that, rolling your own packages isn't all that hard, and it
prevents you from screwing up the package management on the system.

Or, if you really want to just roll your own packages and not have to worry
about package management (because you'll do all the dependency tracking
yourself somehow) then perhaps look at Slackware or Gentoo.