problems upgrading 14.04 to 14.10 (configuration failures in sysv-rc & grub packages)

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Nov 4 21:12:30 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-04, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 01:46:09PM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> Aptitude is not recommended for Ubuntu, try apt-get upgrade instead.

OK.

>> Fine, let's try 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade --full-resolver'
>> ... failed with this:

> A-ha!
>
>> What do I have to do now to get this thing upgraded?
>
> Remove or fix /etc/init.d/virtuoso-nepomuk and run
>
>   sudo dpkg --configure -a

OK, it seems to be working as follows:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f

sudo apt-get upgrade

...running now!

> Since http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=virtuoso-nepomuk shows
> that virtuoso-nepomuk was removed from the Ubuntu archive at some point
> after the 12.04 release, removing the file and/or apt-get purge'ing the
> remains of the package seems like the right thing to do:
>
>   sudo apt-get purge virtuoso-nepomuk

I tried that, but virtuoso-nepomuk wasn't installed at that point!  I
don't even know why that package would have been there anyway.

Thanks very much!  It seems like almost every dist upgrade for the
past year or two has thrown some kind of package installation script
error at me, on at least 1 machine.