apache not starting on reboot

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 17:06:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Noah <noah-list at enabled.com> wrote:

> apache is not starting upon reboot and trying to figure out the best way to
> get it working.   I do not find an apache2 start conf file in /etc/init
>
> How do I put an appropriate boot file in /etc/init for apache2?
>
> my run level is 2
>
> --- snip ----
>
> root at virt:/etc/init# grep -i runlevel rc-sysinit.conf
> # and enters the default runlevel when finished.
> stop on runlevel
> # Default runlevel, this may be overriden on the kernel command-line
> env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2
>
> --- snip ---
>
> apache2 is already added to the service default levels
>
> --- snip ---
> root at virt:/etc/init# update-rc.d apache2 defaults
>  System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.
> --- snip ---
>
>   I do not find an apache2 start conf file in /etc/init

"ls -l /etc/init.d/apache2"

"ls -l /etc/rc2.d/*apache2"

"service apache2 status"

"apachectl status"

Although "update-rc.d apache2 defaults" is returning "System
start/stop links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist" you could try
"update-rc.d apache2 enable", which does essentially the same thing.

Anyway, apache should be enabled to start at boot by default and the
above shouldn't be necessary.