zapped boot info

Wes James comptekki at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:09:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:15 AM, blind Pete <0123peter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wes James wrote:
>
> > Well, after several days of frustration, I finally decided to just
> install
> > xubuntu on disk 3 (the installer chose this) of the 4 disks on a mac pro.
> > I went through the installation and then ran install.sh from rEFInd on
> the
> > mac side and I can now boot in to osx, windows, and the old xubuntu and
> > the
> > new xubuntu.  There really is not process to run just like whatever the
> > installer ran - pick a disk (in my case /dev/sdc) and set up the grub and
> > whatever boot partition setup needs to be done and be done with it?
>  Lot's
> > of googling and trying things did nothing.  rEFInd would show the three
> > icons for each OS, but when linux was selected, it would boot in to
> > windows.  So where is this boot setup that ubuntu uses during install?
>  Is
> > it available as a stand alone utility/precedure?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -wes
>
> I'm really just guessing, but there might have been something about
> rEFInd's configuration.  From the mac side of things look for something
> called /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf
>
> It is possible to install rEFInd from the Linux side as well, BUT
> things could get very confusing if you do that.
>
> --
> blind Pete
> Sig goes here...

I tried installing rEFInd from the linux site and I was getting the same
results.  The linux icon was just booting in to windows.  I have finally
fixed, as mentioned, by installing a second instance of xubuntu.  On boot I
now get rEFInd with an apple icon two ubuntu icons, a penguin and windows.
If I select the first ubuntu icon I get a grub menu that lets me run the
newer xubuntu and it also lists the original xubuntu install.   If I select
the second ubuntu icon, I go right in to the newer xubuntu.  If I select
the penguin icon or windows icon, it boots in to windows.

-wes