Pyrenamer - a new problem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Mar 22 21:20:35 UTC 2014

rikona wrote:
> It showed me
> that there was only one potentially useful file, out of the 200+ shown
> by locate, that was written when the program exited. It was
> .gconf/apps/pyrenamer/%gconf.xml and looks like it has info that might
> be related to the layout. If I resize the window and exit the
> program, some of those parameters change. One item, called pane
> position, does not change, but manually editing this number does not
> seem to make any visual difference when the program runs.
> Interestingly, when the program is fired up, a smaller window appears
> in a brief flash, and very quickly changes to the final window which
> persists in having the problem. Editing this file does not seem to
> solve the problem.

How about removing the file?

> One possibility is that the program is writing a file that does not
> have "pyrenamer" in the filename, and thus does not show up with
> locate. Would it be practical to run a command [which I don't know] to
> list the name and date of any files that were written in the last,
> say, five minutes?

You could try this command:

cd;touch stamp;pyrenamer;find -anewer stamp

Here is the result for a newly created user on my machine:

./.config/oxygen-gtk
./.config/oxygen-gtk/argb-apps.conf
./.gconf
./.gconf/apps
./.gconf/apps/pyrenamer
./.gconf/apps/pyrenamer/%gconf.xml
./.gconf/apps/%gconf.xml
./.pyrenamer
./.pyrenamer/patterns
./.pyrenamer/patterns/main_ori
./.pyrenamer/patterns/main_dest
./.pyrenamer/patterns/images_ori
./.pyrenamer/patterns/images_dest
./.pyrenamer/patterns/music_ori
./.pyrenamer/patterns/music_dest

The command should find all files accessed after the file stamp was
touched.

> In rummaging around on the net, I note that the 12.04 version has been
> removed from the PPA. Also, PyGObject/GTK+3 has apparently replaced
> PyGTK/GTK+2. Could this mean that some update has produced an
> incompatibility with the program? The current program is from 2010
> and it does not seem as though a major update is forthcoming. Could
> this possibly be a dead-end for the program?

You are talking about a ppa ... I used the pyrenamer coming with the
standard 12.04 repositories.

I don't think there is a dead end. After all it is still available for
14.04. And if I try the command above with 14.04, it finds some more
files in ~/.kde, but I don't think they are related.

Nils