Pyrenamer - a new problem - is running again

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun Mar 23 05:04:12 UTC 2014

Hello Nils,

Saturday, March 22, 2014, 2:20:35 PM, Nils wrote:

> rikona wrote:
>> It showed me
>> that there was only one potentially useful file, out of the 200+ shown
>> by locate, that was written when the program exited. It was
>> .gconf/apps/pyrenamer/%gconf.xml and looks like it has info that might
>> be related to the layout. If I resize the window and exit the
>> program, some of those parameters change. One item, called pane
>> position, does not change, but manually editing this number does not
>> seem to make any visual difference when the program runs.
>> Interestingly, when the program is fired up, a smaller window appears
>> in a brief flash, and very quickly changes to the final window which
>> persists in having the problem. Editing this file does not seem to
>> solve the problem.

> How about removing the file?

I did that - didn't help...

>> One possibility is that the program is writing a file that does not
>> have "pyrenamer" in the filename, and thus does not show up with
>> locate. Would it be practical to run a command [which I don't know] to
>> list the name and date of any files that were written in the last,
>> say, five minutes?

> You could try this command:

> cd;touch stamp;pyrenamer;find -anewer stamp

> Here is the result for a newly created user on my machine:

> ./.config/oxygen-gtk
> ./.config/oxygen-gtk/argb-apps.conf
> ./.gconf
> ./.gconf/apps
> ./.gconf/apps/pyrenamer
> ./.gconf/apps/pyrenamer/%gconf.xml
> ./.gconf/apps/%gconf.xml
> ./.pyrenamer
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/main_ori
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/main_dest
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/images_ori
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/images_dest
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/music_ori
> ./.pyrenamer/patterns/music_dest

> The command should find all files accessed after the file stamp was
> touched.

>> In rummaging around on the net, I note that the 12.04 version has been
>> removed from the PPA. Also, PyGObject/GTK+3 has apparently replaced
>> PyGTK/GTK+2. Could this mean that some update has produced an
>> incompatibility with the program? The current program is from 2010
>> and it does not seem as though a major update is forthcoming. Could
>> this possibly be a dead-end for the program?

> You are talking about a ppa ... I used the pyrenamer coming with the
> standard 12.04 repositories.

> I don't think there is a dead end. After all it is still available for
> 14.04. And if I try the command above with 14.04, it finds some more
> files in ~/.kde, but I don't think they are related.

Thanks very much for your help... I learned things too, which is good.

But - for some completely unknown reason, the da*n pgm started running
properly again - and, I didn't do anything between not working and
working. Sheesh... a lot of time spent and I still don't know what
happened or why it is working. <goes away grumbling....>

Anyway, thanks much!

--

 rikona