computer/properties

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:11:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:
> On 06/06/2014 08:58 PM, Vinny Ray wrote:
>>
>> I right click on computer and select properties. On the permissions tab it
>> says I cant make any changes because I am not the owner. So I am just
>> wondering who owns my computer?
>> etc.... is why I deleted windows off of my system.
>> How can I fix this?
>> I also see that I need to type in my password every time I install
>> something..
>> Surely Linux has a fix for these problems?
>>
> I hate to be blunt about it, but the answer is to find a distro that doesn't
> lock you out of root. PCLinuxOS is one such. You'll still have to put in a
> password to
> become the admin, or to load programs from Synaptic, but you do have the
> opportunity, which, as I understand it, you do not have in Ubuntu.

To be blunt: this is complete and utter nonsense.

I doubt that PCL allows you to log in as root in the GUI by default.
So any PCL user will have the same result when checking the computer
properties in Gnome (and I assume but haven't tried in other DEs).

Ubuntu doesn't prevent you from installing anything because root is
disabled by default. This is pure FUD and ignorance. It'll ask you for
your password, unless you change the policykit preferences.

OS X pioneered the "access to root via sudo" default and Ubuntu
followed suit when it was launched.

The latest Fedora installed no longer insists on enabling root (but it
does give you the option.

If you don't set a password in Debian's d-i, sudo is installed and set
up for the first user.

A default install of Solaris 11 will set up root as role and not as a
regular user with which you can log in.

Ar my $day_job, we have 14k Solaris and RHEL instances. We can request
a root password (with justification) and it'll be valid for 24 hours.
All of our work that needs root is doen via sudo.

This is how a modern OS is set up and PCL will eventually follow suit.
It's just a question of time.