update failure [solved]

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 08:13:41 UTC 2014

Solved, but I am not sure how.  Further comments below.

NoOp wrote:

> On 07/24/2014 05:33 PM, blind Pete wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Mythbuntu 12.04 and the update manager has told me
>> that, "New hardware support is available".  Clicking on install
>> and upgrade does not have the desired effect.  What I get is,
>> "Package dependencies can not be resolved", with the following
>> details.  I have edited the white space to make it more obvious
>> that the version numbers look OK.
>>
>> Not attempting to change to 14.04 (yet).
>> Just using 12.04 LTS.
>> 12.04.1 -> 12.04.2 -> 12.04.3 -> 12.04.4 -> 12.04.5
>>
>> The last step failed for no obvious reason.  My guess
>> is that there is a version comparison algorithm that
>> can not quite cope with the version designations actually
>> used.  Some of them got longer rather than higher.
>>
>> Any thoughts?  Report a bug?  Against what?
>>
>> Edited cut'n'paste...
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>
>> libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-trusty:
>>         Depends:
>>         libglapi-mesa-lts-trusty
>>                 (= 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1) but
>>                    10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1 is to be installed
>>
>>         Depends:
>>         libx11-6
>>                 (>= 2:1.4.99.1) but
>>                     2:1.4.99.1-0ubuntu2.2 is to be installed
>>
>>         Depends:
>>         libxdamage1
>>                 (>= 1:1.1) but
>>                     1:1.1.3-2build1 is to be installed
>>
>> xserver-xorg-lts-trusty:
>>         Depends:
>>         xserver-xorg-core-lts-trusty
>>                 (>= 2:1.11) but
>>                     2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2~precise1 is to be installed
>>

> Most likely related (from the announce list):

Highly likely to be related.

> In an effort to support a wider variety of hardware within the 12.04
> Ubuntu LTS release, the 12.04.2 and newer point releases in Precise
> shipped with hardware enablement stacks composed of updated kernels and
> graphics stacks. The intention has always been for these hardware
> enablement stacks to only remain supported until the introduction of the
> kernel and graphics stack derived from 14.04. On August 7, 2014, the 5th
> and final point release for 12.04 (ie. 12.04.5) will deliver the kernel
> and graphics stack derived from 14.04. At that time, security updates
> and bug fixes for older hardware enablement stacks will no longer be
> provided. All users of older hardware enablement stacks will be
> encouraged to update to the 12.04.5 hardware enablement stack

That is what I was trying to do.

> or fully
> upgrade to 14.04 proper. For any 12.04 HWE stack users interested in
> making this migration prior to the August 7, 2014 deadline, we have
> provided a mechanism to assist with this process. First, please ensure
> your system is up to date with the latest package updates for Precise.
> Then, run the command below and follow the instructions which are output:
>
> hwe-support-status --verbose

That now reports 2017.

> For further information and details, please see:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL
>
> and
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-lts-trusty/+bug/1342377

Unfortunately, there was a fair amount of pfaffing about, so I am
not certain exactly what it was that did the trick.  Probably
de-selecting extra ppa's OR tracking down dependencies and dependencies
of dependencies then upgrading those explicitly from the command line.

> To start a new subject, use a clean email."
> and hijacked your thread...

I noticed, but I'm not a regular and mistakes happen.

Gary, you will get more people read your post if it is not
hidden under someone else's.

Thank you NoOp.

--
blind Pete