update failure

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 20:32:18 UTC 2014

On 07/24/2014 05:33 PM, blind Pete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 12.04 and the update manager has told me
> that, "New hardware support is available".  Clicking on install
> and upgrade does not have the desired effect.  What I get is,
> "Package dependencies can not be resolved", with the following
> details.  I have edited the white space to make it more obvious
> that the version numbers look OK.
>
> Not attempting to change to 14.04 (yet).
> Just using 12.04 LTS.
> 12.04.1 -> 12.04.2 -> 12.04.3 -> 12.04.4 -> 12.04.5
>
> The last step failed for no obvious reason.  My guess
> is that there is a version comparison algorithm that
> can not quite cope with the version designations actually
> used.  Some of them got longer rather than higher.
>
> Any thoughts?  Report a bug?  Against what?
>
> Edited cut'n'paste...

> libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-trusty:
>         Depends:
>         libglapi-mesa-lts-trusty
>                 (= 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1) but
>                    10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1 is to be installed
>
>         Depends:
>         libx11-6
>                 (>= 2:1.4.99.1) but
>                     2:1.4.99.1-0ubuntu2.2 is to be installed
>
>         Depends:
>         libxdamage1
>                 (>= 1:1.1) but
>                     1:1.1.3-2build1 is to be installed
>
> xserver-xorg-lts-trusty:
>         Depends:
>         xserver-xorg-core-lts-trusty
>                 (>= 2:1.11) but
>                     2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2~precise1 is to be installed

Most likely related (from the announce list):

In an effort to support a wider variety of hardware within the 12.04
Ubuntu LTS release, the 12.04.2 and newer point releases in Precise
shipped with hardware enablement stacks composed of updated kernels and
graphics stacks. The intention has always been for these hardware
enablement stacks to only remain supported until the introduction of the
kernel and graphics stack derived from 14.04. On August 7, 2014, the 5th
and final point release for 12.04 (ie. 12.04.5) will deliver the kernel
and graphics stack derived from 14.04. At that time, security updates
and bug fixes for older hardware enablement stacks will no longer be
provided. All users of older hardware enablement stacks will be
encouraged to update to the 12.04.5 hardware enablement stack or fully
upgrade to 14.04 proper. For any 12.04 HWE stack users interested in
making this migration prior to the August 7, 2014 deadline, we have
provided a mechanism to assist with this process. First, please ensure
your system is up to date with the latest package updates for Precise.
Then, run the command below and follow the instructions which are output:

hwe-support-status --verbose

For further information and details, please see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL

and

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-lts-trusty/+bug/1342377