ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jan 26 12:55:58 UTC 2014

Nandakumar wrote:
> The program is ready even though it is not named yet! I call it simply
> 'File Destroyer'. I think it meets your requirements.
>
> An alpha version can be downloaded:
> http://nandakumar.co.in/private/filedest
>
> run this command to install
> sudo cp filedest /usr/bin/
>
> usage: filedest <inputfile>
>
> Use carefully since no crash-handling functions are written yet.

Well, if it is not even tested, I would suggest to not install it in
/usr/bin but to run it from the home directory instead. OTOH, if it
isn't tested, it isn't clear if the program does what the OP needs.
Therefore it is probably better to use the program shred instead which
someone mentioned earlier and which does what the OP asked for according
to the man page.

> >> This package may help you:
> >> https://launchpad.net/gopanam/+download
> >>
> >> You encrypt the file with a key, and if the key is unknown, even
> >> the
> >> developer can't decrypt it.

I'd like to point out that the statement "even the developer can't
decrypt it" is meaningless. Good encryption is hard and while the
algorithm may be good, it may be not good enough that a crypto expert
can't decode it anyway. Please note: I am no crypto expert, so I can't
judge if the program is useful or not. I just stumbled across that
flawed statement.

Nils