tar error unrecoverable?

Curt Tresenriter ctres at grics.net
Fri Jan 24 23:39:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:57:22 -0600
William Scott Lockwood III <scott at guppylog.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Curt Tresenriter <ctres at grics.net>
> wrote:
>
> > As I said in my first post, it occurred when I tried to unpack it.
> > As I said in reply to your suggestion, it happened when I tried to
> > copy it to another hard disc.
> > So it happened twice.
> > Clear?
> >

> No, not really,

Giving more information, I could have said that I copied the bzip2 file
to a hard drive I'd recently reformatted - so it's the only file on the
disc, there was no error. Not having run md5sum on it (my second
mistake) I could only check to see that nautilus showed the file to be
the same size as the original on the fist disc, which it did.

I then tried to unpack it and it gave the IO error I quoted in my first
post.
I then tried to copy it back to the disc it was on originally when it
threw another IO error.

If that isn't clear, I'm really not sure what I'm missing.

>but i would suggest that you check the file system for
> errors before you do anything else. Are there any errors in the logs
> regarding S.M.A.R.T.? This is old, but may be of some use:
> http://tazbuntu.blogspot.com/2008/12/check-your-hard-drive-smart-status.html

Gsmartcontrol tells me the disc's SMART status is unsupported.
It's a Seagate 3TB Go flex. I have two of them they both show
SMART status: Unsupported

> It's just a guess, but I think the hard disk is bad, and the file is
> likely hosed in some way. The real question at this point is, is it
> the ONLY file that's hosed?

I'd recently formatted the disc in question - files that were on it
previously never showed any problems.
It was completely blank when I copied the bzip2 file to it.