Ubuntu 12.04 install of Plustek NR-030108 M12 scanner

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Jan 17 12:31:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:05:02PM -0500, Don Parsons wrote:
> My scanner works normally in Windows 7. I have not been able to find
> a successful install for Ubuntu 12.04.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/312296 is
probably talking about the same model.

Can you run lsusb in a terminal and find the ID of the scanner?  Is it
07b3:0462?

> Has anyone gpt a successful routine?

I've a scanner in the office, a different model, but using the same
driver.  To make it work I had to put the firmware file into
/usr/share/sane/gt68xx/.

Sometimes you can download the firmware from the web.
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/ has a lot of links.
Other times you need to find the firmware on the driver CD that came
with your scanner.

Please complain to the scanner vendor.  If they made firmware files
redistributable, Ubuntu could support them out of the box.

Marius Gedminas