Non working Chrome in 13.04

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 20:00:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/14 15:45, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>  On 2 January 2014 15:22, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just upgraded from 12.10 to 13.04 & now Google Chrome no longer works.
>>> Firefox is fine (as far as it goes) but Chrome just swells for a bit &
>>> then
>>> doesn't launch at all.
>>>

>> Firstly, try running it from a terminal & watching for error messages.
>>
>> Also, try removing it, purging its settings, then reinstalling a
>> freshly-downloaded copy.
>>

> Yeah, that's the best option methinks.
>
> It's not so life threatening: I only upgraded to 13.04 today in order to
> upgrade to 13.10 tomorrow because 13.04 goes EOL this month & I didn't want
> to be stranded at 12.10 on this machine.

I don't know about THIS month... looks like April is still a few weeks
away, but if you don't want the release merry-go-round 12.04 LTS should be
good a few more years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

> But I'd still like to know as to why this is happening.

You might learn something interesting when you launch it from a terminal,
HOWEVER even if you installed it using Google's repository, the upgrade
utility usually disables everything it doesn't know about. I would guess
that some essential bit of code got nuked in the upgrade purpose and since
you were using Chrome instead of Chromium the upgrader stomped all over it.