Non working Chrome in 13.04 [SOLVED]

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Jan 6 13:24:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 05:19:52PM +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> It appears that the upgrade removed 'libudev.so' from /usr/lib which
> Chrome requires to run.
>
> The solution is to symlink thusly:
>
> `$ sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0'

That is not a good solution.  The ".1" in "libudev.so.1.3.5" defines the
ABI version.  Chrome expects ABI v0, you're giving it v1 but telling it
is v0.  This might seem to work, for a while, but you don't know when it
will cause mysterious problems.

A better solution would be to reinstall Chrome.  google-chrome-stable version
31.0.1650.63-1 that I just got from
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/ works fine on Ubuntu 13.10.

(I've no idea *why* it works -- /opt/google/chrome/chrome, which is part
of that package, still links against libudev.so.0, which is missing from
my system.  Nevertheless I can run google-chrome-stable and it works.)

Marius Gedminas
--
The moral of the story is that with a contrived example, you can prove
anything. Oops. No, that's not what I meant to say.