bluetooth keyboard/mouse disconnected during upgrade, cannot complete upgrade, USB keyboard/mouse dont work either

Keith kilowatt_radio at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 06:40:05 UTC 2014

[posted to "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com> & emailed]
On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:13:31 -0700, scar <scar at drigon.com> wrote:

> i am updating my ubuntu 10.04 desktop to 12.04, and my bluetooth
> keyboard/mouse have gotten disconnected during the process somewhere.
> the upgrade is paused right now while it is waiting for me to continue
> through a dialog box asking to replace a configuration file.  i tried
> plugging a USB mouse and keyboard in but they aren't letting me move the
> mouse or type either.  i can still SSH into the box and check dmesg and
> the system is recognizing the USB keyboard/mouse but for some reason i
> can't control the mouse pointer or type with them.  i tried restarting
> the bluetooth service too but that didn't help.  so the system is stuck
> in the middle of the upgrade and i'm not sure what to do!

You can try to reboot and see if Ubuntu recovers. I hope you made a backup
before upgrading, if you didn't then you can at least backup your /home
directory and /var/spool directories to prevent loss of your data. If you
can't recover you will need to do a clean install of Ubuntu.

Whenever you upgrade an OS you should use a network, keyboard and mouse
that are physically electronically connected to the computer in case
something wireless fails.