System Drops Network Connection **SOLVED Please read solution**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 23:25:49 UTC 2014

On 12/25/2013 06:58 AM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> On 12/24/2013 08:20 AM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

>>> Anything in /var/log/syslog?
>>
>> There are several entries for Network Manager reporting Unmanaged Device found
>>>
>>> When you say it goes down, do you mean it says it is disconnected or
>>> just is not working?
>>
>> It remains working, however, there is no connection to the network. Can not ping
>> yahoo.com for example.
>>
>>> What happens if you unplug the cable and put it back?
>>>

> Colin,
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> Sorry to take so long
>
>> Have not tried that, yet
>
> This morning I unplugged the cat 5 cable and plugged it back in and the system
> connected to the network. I was also able to ping yahoo.com & 98.139.183.24 (as
> Paul Cartwright suggested - I do NOT think it is a DNS problem) (see below)
>
> Yesterday I monitored the system after I had reinstalled Network Manager using
> synaptic and rebooted the system.
>
> I used an ssh connection from another system and started running:
> tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> That was working fine on an idle system until:
>
> Dec 25 00:17:01 ursa CRON[2802]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report
> /etc/cron.hourly)
> Write failed: Broken pipe
>
> I was asleep and did not see the results until I got up this morning...
> I was able to restart the ssh connection successfully.
>
> /var/log/syslog continued to record events just like that shown above (cron
> entries) until about 06:14 then there are several entries. It shows the NIC
> being unplugged and the network restarting...
>
> I will continue to monitor...
>
> Ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Jay

Folks, I said I would continue to monitor this situation...

The ROOT cause was a was a bad network connection AT THE WALL. I isolated the
problem by using another spigot (in the same room) with a longer cable. It
worked fine for several days. I asked myself if the cable I was using originally
was bad, and tried the new cable with the original connection... yep down it went!

So I replaced the wall plug with a new one and restored the original cable. NO
MORE PROBLEMS!

Cheers,
Jay

--