Critical failures while trying to install Linux

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Feb 24 14:18:15 UTC 2014

>[Result: Many installation stages failed, reporting boot medium fault.

>Please note that I used this disc successfully many times so far]

To know if you hard disk is failing, please read the SMART info on the
drive. Sometimes, to read SMART it has to be enabled in the bios. You can
use pastebin.com to show us the output of the following command:

smartctl -a /dev/sda   (use the correct /dev/* for your drive)

Can you run Ubuntu Live from the usb? When you're have strange issues, it's
a good idea to run memtest86 on the machine for several passes. Even
overnight, if possible.

You can also look at the capacitors on your motherboard to see if any are
rounded or bulging on top. Here's an example of bad caps:

http://poppular.blogspot.com/2011/08/repairing-another-samsung-lcd-tv.html

Unfortunately, the capacitors inside the power supply also fail, but it can
be dangerous to open the PSU so just swap it with a known good one to test.