[OFF TOPIC]: Do u know any email server except google, yahoo...?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Mon Feb 17 13:49:24 UTC 2014

On 02/17/2014 08:27 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
 > Seconding your earlier suggestion of "set up your own". It's actually
not as hard as I thought ...

The problems with running your own are two:

  1. You need a static IP address that is not blacklisted as a spam
source.  This doesn't have to be in your house, you can rent service
from someplace like Linode and run Ubuntu there.  That might be
expensive for just e-mail, but you can use your server for other stuff, too.

  2. Setting up an e-mail server isn't so hard, but maintaining it is a
responsibility.  Time will pass and your software will be obsolete and
you will have to update it without breaking things. Also, time will pass
and the very definition of the right way to run an e-mail server will
change as spammers and security and the internet itself changes.

Not trivial, but it means you can control your fate, use your own domain
name, etc.

 > worst bit is that my phone doesn't trust the SSL certificate (but I
think that's more to do
 > with it being one of those "Freebie Test Cert" ones than anything) -Dan

Android lets users install new certificates.

Interestingly, I recently noticed that Android lists all the
certificates from around the world that are trusted.  And I can un-check
any of them.  Hmm.  How many do I really care about?  The ones for
Amazon and my bank and Google and a few more.  Maybe I figure out which
ones they are and only check them.

-kb