kompare problem, saves zero length diffs

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 12 01:22:40 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 11 February 2014 20:04:29 Dan Purgert did opine:

> On 11/02/2014 14:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I just spent 4 hours trying the 10,000 monkeys recipe with kompare,
> > trying to make a diff file from some 20 year old os9 code, and while
> > kompare shows the diffs quite nicely, the save a diff seems to
> > missfire by asking too many times for the output filename, and then
> > when it does save, its a zero length file.  Running as s sudi -i root
> > because I don't own the target directory.
> >
> > Any clues to share folks?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Just as a sanity check - have you tried setting the output directory to
> something you can access, such as /home/you/Documents/kompare-diff, so
> that you don't have to try running kompare as root?  Could be something
> dumb like it looking for a bit that it can't find as root (e.g. "look
> in $HOME/.kompare for something" ... and /root doesn't have anything).
>
> Granted the best thing would be a log - have you checked /var/log to see
> if there's anything there (either syslog or 'kompare.log')?
>
> -Dan

Apparently nothing in the logs, I just checked about 10 of them. messages
and syslog are conspicius by an absence of anything related.  It does
create the empty file without any reported hiccups, with root:root perms.

I just ran it as me, same 2 files, tried to save a diff in my own ~/Public
dir, and again in the webpages directory.  Nothing generated in either
case, not even the empty file.

Is there some option I can set to make it a bunch noisier?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.