kompare problem, saves zero length diffs

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Tue Feb 11 20:42:59 UTC 2014

On 11/02/2014 14:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I just spent 4 hours trying the 10,000 monkeys recipe with kompare, trying
> to make a diff file from some 20 year old os9 code, and while kompare shows
> the diffs quite nicely, the save a diff seems to missfire by asking too
> many times for the output filename, and then when it does save, its a zero
> length file.  Running as s sudi -i root because I don't own the target
> directory.
>
> Any clues to share folks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheers, Gene

Just as a sanity check - have you tried setting the output directory to
something you can access, such as /home/you/Documents/kompare-diff, so that you
don't have to try running kompare as root?  Could be something dumb like it
looking for a bit that it can't find as root (e.g. "look in $HOME/.kompare for
something" ... and /root doesn't have anything).

Granted the best thing would be a log - have you checked /var/log to see if
there's anything there (either syslog or 'kompare.log')?

-Dan