Windows program doesn't work any more. (Solved)

Stephen stephen_o at bell.net
Mon Feb 10 14:45:02 UTC 2014

On 14-02-07 08:26 AM, Ramon M R wrote:
> Try running the game in the command line and see if it shows any error
> messages.
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Stephen <stephen_o at bell.net
> <mailto:stephen_o at bell.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 14-02-06 03:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>         On 6 February 2014 01:39, Stephen <stephen_o at bell.net
>         <mailto:stephen_o at bell.net>> wrote:
>
>             Since the last time I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 box a
>             windows game that I have
>             been using ever since I installed Ubuntu quit working.
>
>             I don't get any error messages. It just says that it is
>             Command Orion Pirates", and then it goes away and doesn't
>             load.
>
>         If it is a windows game how are you running it?  Are you dual
>         booting
>         into windows, using windows in a VM in Ubuntu, using Ubuntu in
>         a VM in
>         windows, using wubi in windows, using wine, or what?
>
>         Colin
>
>     I was running it under Wine, and it worked better than it did when
>     I was using windows. I don't have windows any more I am not dual
>     booting.
>

>     --

> Ramon Marques Ramos
>
> Engenheiro de Computação
> Mestrando em Informática -UFES

I even found that my virtual box with a windows installation in it
wouldn't work and some of the graphics were not as good as before.

The last update included a fglrx update that doesn't support the older
ATI graphics card, so my graphics accelerator didn't work any more. I
purged it and install an old version of fglrx and everything is working
fine.

It is really hard when the Ubuntu system didn't give me any error report
to tell me why the programs were failing.