Firefox problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 20 18:51:17 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 04:24 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I think you are on to something!  I checked my plugins and I have the
> Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.356 and FF says that it was blocked because it has
> known security problems.  It also says that it should be updated.

You can install flash per Collin's instructions. However, FWIW your
issue is not flash or cookie related: I use prefbar
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prefbar/) and can turn
on/off flash, cookies, WebM, H.264 etc at will. I can visit and browse
www.bbc.com and weather.gov with no problems. The only issue is when I
wish to view a bbe.com video I have to turn flash on as they've not
upgraded their videos to WebM. Note: they do have the video's available
in H.264 for mobile browsers, but to see them on a desktop I have to
spook my UI to something like an ipod touch:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X;
en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2
Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5

Create a new Firefox profile and see if you still experience the
problem. If all works with a new profile, they the issue is in your
existing user profile.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

> As I understand it, Adobe no longer issues updates for Linux.  If there are
> any updates how can I get them.  Note:  I am using Mint/Mate so if it is
> available in the Ubuntu repository, how do I add this repository?  If this
> is the last version (see the above paragraph)  is there any work around?
>
>> If you were using Ubuntu then I would
>>
>> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
>>
>> However whether that is appropriate for Mint I have no idea.  Perhaps
>> there is a Mint list that could help.  Also I see that you are using
>> the Saucy repository, but Saucy is no longer supported so it may not
>> have the latest version of flash available anyway.  Are you using a
>> current version of Mint?
>>
> WS=>  I visited Mozilla's website and definitely it is Shockwave.
> Actually, the security problem affects Windows but a=other Os'es
> including Linux were blocked even though it wasn't necessary.  The
> security flaw might affect the browser but it is unlikely that the Linux
> system would be affected.
>
> Now I know what is happening.  The question is, "how do I fix it." As a
> last resort, I'll probablyl reinstall Mint Linux because a lot of
> digital crud has accumulated.  That way I am sure that I have gotten the
> latest version.

See Olivers' comments.