2 TB external HD does not mount any more. How to save it's data?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:44:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Bas G. Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The problem with dd is that it will fail on errors. I use gdd_rescue.
> > I'm with Liam. Gddrescue has really shined for our uses, ... Worth a
> > shot.
>

> The question is now, what to do first after purchasing a new 3 TB external
> HDD.
> Do I need to first reformat it to EXT 4?
>
> Not necessary.  I do, but it's up to you.

> "(...)
>
> My questions:
> How to make sure that the old, damaged HDD will be recognised as sdb1 and
> the
> new one as, eg., sdb2?
>
> That's not right.  sdb1 and sdb2 point to the first and second partitions
on a single drive.  Since I gather the partition data is not readable, the
kernel won't be able to make sense of them on the bad drive.

It's more likely that your drives will be /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc with no
suffix number.  Depending on what you want to do, you may have a partition
on the new drive, and copy to files within that partition.

> How to EXACTLY-CORRECTLY indicate that I want to copy the image from the
> old
> disk (sdb1?) to the new one (sdb2)?
>
> I would connect just one at a time, run gparted and see what it thinks it
has.  If you leave it connected and don't reboot the system, the drive name
will not change.
Then connect the other one and have gparted rescan.  See what it added.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */