2 TB external HD does not mount any more. How to save it's data?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:42:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Bas G. Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Oh, the drive is an external USB drive? Smart info often doesn't work on
>
> > those drives.
>

> Yes, it is.
>

> > There is a small chance the drive is ok, but the USB electronics in the
>
> > external enclosure have gone bad. Since it sounds like it's out of
> warranty,
>
> > I would open the case and remove the drive itself and attach it directly
>
> > a desktop computer to see if the data can be salvaged.
>

> I see no possibility to open the drive, unless I would damage it. However,
> it is possible that it is a USB electronics problem - the drive is about 5
> years old - it possibly has been plugged in too long.

You may need to damage the enclosure -- they are often designed to remain
closed forever.  That need not damage the drive inside the enclosure, and
that drive is likely to be SATA, possibly IDE.

Indeed, I am reusing an enclosure that was sacrificed to access it's drive,
populating it with a different similar drive.  In this case, it was the
actual drive that was bad.  Some glue fixed the enclosure.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */