2 TB external HD does not mount any more. How to save it's data?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:12:49 UTC 2014

I have a similar vulnerability, since my backups are all to large external
drives.  They are connected only when actively backing up, so they last a
long time, but nothing is forever.

My protection is that there are several of them, and I use them in
rotation.  That way, if one goes dead I still have newer or older backups.
If one goes flakey, I have a place to copy its data.

I use these drives, and home-brewed Linux scripts, even on my Windows
machines.  This has the advantage that the toolchain is all open-source,
and I know what I've got and the format is never going to become obsolete.

I recommend this approach.