Connecting a tablet to my home network

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Dec 2 03:06:33 UTC 2014

At Mon, 01 Dec 2014 20:04:38 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/2014 05:12 PM, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Is it possible to get the devices to talk to each other on my home network?
> >
> > Yes, I do this all the time.
> >
> > What do you mean when you say the tablet doesn't "see" the other
> > devices? Did you try pinging your PC from your tablet or vice versa?
>

> If I open Nautilus on my desktop or laptop and double click on Network I
> can see entries for them in Nautilus and they can share files, etc.  The
> tablet does not show up in Nautilus when I do this and I have not been
> able to find any way on the tablet to interact with the other machines
> on the network.
>
> I don't do much network setup so I never though of that.  I found the
> tablets ip address and I can ping it.  I can see nothing on the tablet
> that would let me try to ping the desktop.
>
> The tablet is pingable, how do I get Nautilus to find it?

OK, I think what is happening is you have Samba installed in a way that allows
for 'randomly' sharing files (ala mess-windows style [smells like a big
security hole to me, but maybe acceptable on a home network behind a
firewall]) and I guess Nautilus is linked with the Samba libraries and
incorporates some aspects of smbclient. My guess is that your tablet does not
have anything like Samba installed.  Samba is the UNIX/Linux package that
implements NETBIOS, the mess-windows network file sharing protocol.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933