Connecting a tablet to my home network

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 02:04:38 UTC 2014

On 12/01/2014 05:12 PM, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Is it possible to get the devices to talk to each other on my home network?
>
> Yes, I do this all the time.
>
> What do you mean when you say the tablet doesn't "see" the other
> devices? Did you try pinging your PC from your tablet or vice versa?

If I open Nautilus on my desktop or laptop and double click on Network I
can see entries for them in Nautilus and they can share files, etc.  The
tablet does not show up in Nautilus when I do this and I have not been
able to find any way on the tablet to interact with the other machines
on the network.

I don't do much network setup so I never though of that.  I found the
tablets ip address and I can ping it.  I can see nothing on the tablet
that would let me try to ping the desktop.

The tablet is pingable, how do I get Nautilus to find it?

> If you can't even ping, it could be a setting on your wireless router
> called "Wireless Network Isolation." Basically it prevents wireless
> devices from talking to each other, but I think it still lets them
> talk to wired ones. Your printer wouldn't happen to be the only wired
> device on the network, would it? You might have to disable this
> setting to do what you want.
>
> -nd.

My desktop is wired also.

Regards,  Jim