Skype woes

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Aug 23 23:49:24 UTC 2014

Hello thufir,

Saturday, August 23, 2014, 4:11:47 PM, thufir wrote:

> I purged skype with apt-get, and there's no skype folder in my home
> folder.  What else is needed to uninstall?

Thufir - let me repeat part of my reply to Karl, with a bit of
emphasis added:

> I downloaded it, installed it using the software centre and all
> seemed to go well, but when run it displayed version 4.2 and said
> "Skype can't connect".

I had the same problem. Software center does NOT uninstall the old
version properly, which MUST be done!

> So I used "apt-get remove skype", and that too seemed to go well.
> Trying to run skype failed, no such command.

***There are two things that must be removed - skype and skype-bin.***
Software center lists both but does not remove bin, which seems to be
the critical thing to remove. I used software center to remove both,
as two different uninstalls, then did an install and 4.3 came up
working.

> Further attempts to install from the downloaded .deb file led into
> dependency hell (which is odd, that didn't happen the first couple
> of times).

I was considering this after searching the net re this problem, but
found the above first - much easier.

--

 rikona