strange nfs problem, need nfs guru

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Aug 21 19:14:37 UTC 2014

On Thursday 21 August 2014 14:13:59 Tom H did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2014 09:57:12 Tom H did opine
> >
> >> Do you have autofs running on the machine where into which you're
> >> ssh'ing?
> >
> > Yes on both. Concentrating on the lathe box, I appear to be starting
> > a new, slightly different (according to an lsof|grep autofs)
> > invocation of it every time I try to mount with a different syntax.
> >
> > So I'll reboot it for a clean slate, BRB. Yes, fresh reboot show one
> > instance of autofs running. The mount has been added to its
> > /etc/fstab file:
> >
> > coyote.coyote.den /net/coyote nfs defaults 0 0
> >
> >> Is "/net" enabled/uncommented?
> >
> > Where do I check this?
> >
> >> What does "ls /net/ip-address-of-nfs-server" (or "ls
> >> /net/hostname-of-nfs-server" if you have dns set up) return?
> >
> > local dns is hosts file based. An ls of /net/ip4addr doesn't exist,
> > and an ls /net/aliasname is an empty return.
>
> You're not using autofs so you can ignore my question about "/net"
> being enabled. Your use of "/net" fooled me and another person who
> posted!
>
> Is the nfs server "coyote.coyote.den" or "coyote.den"?
coyote.den is the domain name, prepend the name of the machine to get the
FQDN, so coyote.coyote.den is the serving FQDN, with lathe.coyote.den,
router.coyote.den and shop.coyote.den completing the normally powered up
bits of my local network.  router of course has no clue they exist, only
my web page on a wtf address for those not acquainted with the 6x09
microprocessors.

router.coyote.den is of course running dd-wrt.

> The first entry should be of the form "server:export" not "server" as
> you have it above.

Example?

> Does the "/net/coyote" directory exist on lathe?

I have had it, and nuked it when it did not help.  /net has been chmod'd
to 0777 just to get that out of the way.

Thanks Tom.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)