Desktop Organization

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Aug 10 14:58:40 UTC 2014

At Sun, 10 Aug 2014 16:38:19 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 10 August 2014 15:53, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > Yes on one level.  OTHO, I am not sure how well the Unity desktop is going to
> > be received by either *traditional* UNIX/Linux users OR ex-MS-Windows users.
> > *I* don't like it -- I have been using some form of UNIX/Linux for like 40
> > years.  (I don't partitularly like (Mac)OS-X either.)
>

> Well, that one will run and run. I like it a lot myself, and despite
> the switch, Ubuntu remains the #1 desktop/laptop distro. It's a
> simple, easy interface and it does everything I need.
>
> And FWIW, I'm an old-timer too -- I've been using Windows since v2.0
> and Unix since SCO Xenix 2 on an IBM PC-AT.

Well *I* *never* used any version of MS-Windows.  The first 'desktop' system I
used was DECWindows on a VaxStation 2000 running VMS.  I then moved to
DECWindows on DECStations running Ultrix.  I now use FVWM2 in MWM mode on
Linux machines (CentOS 5 is the current version I use).

('DECWindows' was DEC's rebranding of X11/Motif and used the Motif Window
Manager [MWM].)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933