Skype update on 12.04

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Aug 9 18:49:55 UTC 2014

Saturday, August 9, 2014, 6:45:00 AM, Liam wrote:

> On 9 August 2014 15:31, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>> As I said above, that is what I tried to do.

> No, you didn't.

> You tried to do an in-place upgrade: to load 4.3 on top of 4.2.

True. This is what was suggested in the websites I found in the
search, and is what Hans, on this list, apparently did as well.
Software center said it needed to remove "Skype" before it could
install 4.3, so I thought it would remove 4.2, but apparently it did
not.

> What I am saying is:

> * remove 4.3

Software center thinks 4.3 has been installed, so I told software
center to remove it, and it said it did so.

> * see if 4.2 still works

Unfortunately, 4.2 is still there and runs when you say to run Skype.

> * if it does, find 4.2 and remove it

When I was snooping around to find 4.2, I happened to tell software
center to look in canonical partners rather than all software. When I
did that, three separate entries for Skype where there. Two were
labeled as not installed, but a third for "Skype-bin" was still
labeled as installed. When I asked for more information this entry
said it was for version 4.2, which was still installed. So, when
software center said it needed to remove "Skype" it removed ONLY the
plain "Skype" entry and not Skype-bin. This is probably why 4.2 came
up when I said to run Skype. I told software center to remove
"Skype-bin" and it did so, and none of the three Skype entries was
labeled as installed.

> * see if any trace of Skype remains

I then ran "locate Skype" and found a large number of Skype related
entries, but no "Skype-bin". Dash did not offer to run Skype, so I
decided at this point to try a clean install of 4.3, and 4.3 did come
up when I said to run Skype. So, Skype is now running correctly.

After the clean install, I note that software center again has two
separate entries for Skype, and both are marked as installed. Perhaps
if I had looked only under canonical partners in software center, and
had told it to uninstall "Skype-bin" instead of "Skype", it may have
removed the binary file and done the in-place upgrade correctly.

Your idea of removing everything first was correct. Thanks very much
for the information.

--

 rikona