input method

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Thu Aug 7 03:05:11 UTC 2014

(2014/08/07 1:41), Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good evening
> I have just installed 14.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1545.
> It took 3-4 attempts, because each time there was an unrecoverable error)
>
> With former versions I was able to go to "language support" and select +
> activate an input method for Japanese.
> This version shows under "language support"already the input method
> "ibus" ...
> but I cannot figure out how to turn this thing on.
> Googling all around did not help either.
>
> Could someone please direct me to the necessary step(s) for swithing
> this function on?
> Thank you.
> Thomas

Could someone please point me into the right direction?
I tried all sorts of things, nothing has worked so far.
I also tried those "apt-get" and install things I found on Google (to
install the Japanese input method)
Input method is as it should be, language packs are installed, but I
cannot switch to Japanese input.

And the last "apt-get install ibus-anthy" operation apparently killed
the "language setting".
It has disappeared and seach with Dash does not show it anymore.

Where has it gone to?
Why did it disappear?

This is a nightmare. In 12.04 there were no problems at all ...