Erratic firefox behavior

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 02:50:05 UTC 2014

Using Ubuntu 12.04 firefox from the repositories updated to version 31.0

I'm not sure exactly when it started but for sometime now Firefox has
been sometimes been starting up and opening whatever tabs I happened to
leave open when I shut it down. I don't have any tabs pinned and in
settings I have the startup page as about:blank.

I looked through about:config and found the following settings, which
all seem to be correct.

browser.startup.page;0
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone;31.0
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID;20140715215003
browser.startup.homepage;about:blank

If I remember correctly there once was a setting that said not to reopen
tabs that were open at shutdown, but I can't seem to find it now.

It appears to be random.  I can shutdown with tabs open 5 times in a row
and have open a blank page and then the next 3 times it will open what
happened to be open at shutdown.

Due to the randomness of the problem it could be a long time consuming
process to start disabling addons or setting up a new default profile.
So before I do that, I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this
behavior and maybe had a solution.

Regards,  Jim