VirtualBox

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 14:15:04 UTC 2014

On 08/05/2014 06:40 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 5 August 2014 13:22, Dick Dowdell <dick.dowdell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> VirtualBox does have an advantage over a dual boot installation in that one
>> can switch back and forth between OSes without rebooting.  With
>> hardware-level virtualization, performance is excellent.
>

> Please put your response *below* the text to which you are replying.
> Gmail supports this just fine; I am using it right now. Press Ctrl-A,
> trim and then type.
>
> VBox is fine for some things, but for others, native bare-metal
> performance is key. I don't see them as exclusive alternatives; I have
> a rarely-used copy of Win7 in a native hard disk partition, and the
> official MS XP Mode VM running under Virtualbox as well (and also
> rarely-used).

I have a dual boot setup now, Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on separate hard
drives.  About the only thing I use Win7 for is to run Turbo Tax. It
really would be more convenient to run it in VBox. I don't have an
installation disk because Win7 came installed on the machine.

I've googled this in the past and found several sets of complex and
sometime conflicting instructions.  If someone who has successfully put
an installed copy of Win7 in VBox would point me at the instructions
they used, I would appreciate it.

Regards,  Jim