Suggestions for eSATA PCIe cards supported under 14.04 amd64?

E-Neutrino e-neutrino at web.de
Fri Aug 1 21:12:07 UTC 2014

 Dear All,

 after some bad experience and not much luck looking at the usual spots
 for hardware suggestions, I like to ask here:

 Has someone a good suggestion for an eSATA card that runs stable under
 Ubuntu 14.04 amd64, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic and later?

 I currently own a Highpoint RocketRAID 622, but it is highly unstable
 and not usable under 14.04 with kernel 3.13.0.

 I am looking for a simple eSATA card, i.e. I would like to have two
 eSATA ports on a PCIe 16 card with half-length slot bracket.  (It will
 work in an HP Proliant Microserver, which only has a single PCIe slot
 and mechanically only allows half-length brackets.)  I do not need any
 internal SATA ports, nor do I need any RAID functionality.  Just two
 plain eSATA ports that support Port-Multipliers.

 I know that my "optimal" card may not exists, so I am also happy with
 cards that have more than I need, as long as they have two external
 eSATA ports with support for Port-Multipliers and feature a half-length
 slot-bracket.

 Has someone here such a card in use and can share model and brand, and
 which driver s/he uses?

 Many thanks in advance

    Neutrino

--
Computers help us to solve problems we don't have without computers.