Help! I cannot upgrade to New Ubuntu release 12.04.4 LTS

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Mon Apr 28 04:30:44 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 19:27 -0400, Rick Magraw wrote:
> Here is the status of my disk partitions:
>
> rsm at rsm-laptop:~$ df
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda5              8120500   6868972    842276  90% /
> /dev/sda7             59601088    316532  56280808   1% /home

Yep.  You can see that the /home partition, where your home directory
is, is virtually empty (only 1% used).

But that's not helping you any because the error message talks about the
root partition ("/").  You need to free up another 2.5G from that
partition, not your home directory, following the advice in my email and
from other folks on the lists, to free that space.

Having only 8G in your root partition is a bit low, for exactly this
reason: it works OK for day-to-day use but it's constraining when you
need to do system operations which require more disk space, like
downloading an entire new release so it can be installed.

However, if you're only going to hand over 70G or so for Linux total
there's not much choice.  In that situation I'd probably not bother with
multiple partitions, and just make one big partition.  Multiple
partitions are really useful if you want to use multiple distributions
on the same machine, or load new distributions without losing your /home
directory.