What Ubuntu is best for Lenovo Laptop?

Phil G ssc1861 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 18:25:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM, GaryTaig <taig at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> We have a Lenovo Thinkpad that runs WinXP and I want to load the most
> suitable version of Ubuntu.  Not necessarily the latest.
>
> ThinkPad R500
> Core 2 Duo P8400
> 2.26 GHz
> 2048MB RAM
> BIOS V207 (Feb 2009)
>
> Is there a Ubuntu that's likely to load and run without mishap?
> I'm not keen on the latest; 14.04 sounds nice but there is no time for
> experimenting, or trying to discover why a broken installation isn't
> working.
>
> It will be used on the Internet, has WiFi and Bluetooth etc. and can boot
> from a CD.  Has plenty of USB slots but appears NOT to be able to boot
> directly from USB... only from a USB diskette.
>
> Is Ubuntu the most suitable?  I've been running it on a desktop machine for
> several years, I think the first version was about 7 or 8, currently 10.04
> LTS.

I had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Lenovo T61 for two years.  Worked great.
I used GNOME instead of Unity because I liked the look of it better,
but performance-wise I had no issues with either GNOME or Unity.

I just recently upgraded 12.04 to Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS.  12.04 felt
a little more stable but of course that was after 3 or 4 updates while
14.04 is fresh and new.

Phil