USB memory stick question

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 23 08:42:03 UTC 2014

On 04/23/2014 05:32 PM, Peter Smout wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have experienced a similar issue (my Acer Aspire 5720 would boot from
> USB CD but not USB pen-drive) and I eventually resolved it by playing
> around with Grub.
>
> Note if the machine has grub installed on it's main HDD then getting it
> to boot from any connected device is relatively simple and plenty of
> tutorials can be found on-line https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
> is a good place to start.
>
> Hope this helps, and as to why 1 usb stick works and another doesn't is
> beyond me ;)

Thanks Pete,

The whole problem has occurred because I installed a mini.iso which
installed the grub boot loader on /dev/sda which is the USB stick; the
only USB stick that works. I'm now trying to boot from another USB stick
that contains boot-repair.

I'll try the USB DVD tomorrow, perhaps that will work.

--
Regards,
Phil