14.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Apr 20 06:35:31 UTC 2014

R Kimber wrote:
> When I boot up 14.04 I get an otherwise blank screen with the message:
>
> "error: malformed file, press any key to continue".
>
> Pressing a key allows booting to continue, but one wonders what the
> problem is.

> Any one else seen this?

Yes, I have seen it yesterday. It happened on my main machine after I
had used a system installed on a USB stick. I hadn't used that USB stick
system for some time and therefore there was a bunch of updates. As the
error message appeared more or less immediately after starting from the
grub menu, I thought it was caused by a grub update on the USB system
and I reinstalled grub on the main machine. After that the error message
didn't appear again.

Nils