Ubuntu One will be shut down

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:18:09 UTC 2014

> On 15/04/14 19:20, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>> On 04/15/2014 02:09 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> <mailto:woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>>:
>>>
>>>     (*** Fixed reply posting order ***)
>>>

>>>     On 04/02/2014 11:21 PM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>>>
>>>         On Apr 2, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Martín Cigorraga
>>>         <martincigorraga at gmail.com <mailto:martincigorraga at gmail.com>
>>>         <mailto:martincigorraga at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:martincigorraga at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>>

>>>                 On Apr 2, 2014 4:07 PM, "Dave Woyciesjes"
>>>                 <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
>>> <mailto:woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>
>>>                 <mailto:woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
>>>                 <mailto:woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>                          2014-04-02 17:34, Christian Benz skrev:
>>>

>>>                                  Just to let you know:
>>>

>>> http://blog.canonical.com/__2014/04/02/shutting-down-__ubuntu-one-file-services/
>>>

>>> <
>>> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>>> >

>>>                      Yes, true. But I have started using Wuala (by
>>> LaCie):
>>>                 http://www.wuala.com/referral/__PP5AF64H4NP4AHH5MJNG
>>>
>>>                      <http://www.wuala.com/referral/PP5AF64H4NP4AHH5MJNG
>>> >

>>>                      5GB on the free plan, and if you refer people who
>>>                 join, you get
>>>                      additional GB of storage.
>>>
>>>                      Pretty easy to setup & use, works on any OS, any
>>>                 Linux. Nice to
>>>                      have for my Debian machine. :)
>>>

>>>      >> Best part about Wuala is that it encrypts files locally before
>>>      >> uploading anything to the cloud so nobody but you (or with
>>> your pwd,
>>>      >> that is) can ever access them.
>>>      >>
>>>      >> Another interesting cloud syncing solution is Copy.com
>>>      >> <http://Copy.com>, while they don't offer strong encryption as
>>> Wuala
>>>
>>>      >> does you get 15GB just by signing up.
>>>
>>>      > I will definitely look into it. Is there an easy way to move files
>>>      > from Ubuntu One at the moment?
>>>
>>>              Yep. Ubuntu One syncs all to one folder. The encrypted
>>>     Wuala file gets mounted as another folder. I just did the standard
>>>     method of moving files/folders in Nautilus from one to the other.
>>>              Easy peasy...
>>>

>>> Does any of the suggested replacements to UbuntuOne feature a command
>>> line tool such as ”u1sdtool”?
>>>

> Hi,
>
> Copy.com works fine from CLI just as any other file/folder on device. I
> have a small script that runs through cron once a week to back up my
> important stuff to there! Also accepts links to other
> folders/directories/files
>
> Not sure what the U1sdtool does or did but copy.com works for me ;)
>

>From the man page:
”u1sdtool is a command line utility for controlling ubuntuone-syncdaemon.
It can be used to get information about the metadata of ubuntuone-syncdae‐
mon but also to create shares, accept or reject offered shares and to force
a refresh on the list of shares.”

Personally I use it to get a file's UbuntuOne URL, for instance:
export URL=$(u1sdtool --publish-file "${File}" | sed -r 's/.*(http.*)/\1/')

Johnny Rosenberg