Multiple Monitors - nVidia GT210 and Ubuntu 12.04

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Tue Apr 8 13:09:45 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I run an Ubuntu 12.04 box, with a 19" Samsung 932BF Monitor connected via
DVI-D and a 26" Flat Panel TV connected via HDMI. Both are connected to an
nVidia GT210 card.

I ran  nVidia Settings and set the 19" Samsung as the default monitor, but
each time I turn on the computer (once in a long while) the display
defaults to the HDMI port.

It is really annoying! I use the disper utility to switch between displays,
to I have to turn on the TV (it is usually off and disconnected from the
wall outlet), open a terminal window and o the Switching Dance:

$ disper -e
$ disper -S
$ disper -s

Only then i get the display on the Samsung and can turn the TV back off....

1. How does it switch to HDMI on boot if the TV isn't plugged in?
2. Why won't the setting in nVidia Settings stick?
3. How do I make it stick?

I also saw somewhere that I can make the sound output switch automatically
when it detects the switch to the HDMI port...

Thanks!

Amichai.