upgrade solves other issues?

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Mon Apr 7 20:11:10 UTC 2014

I am having a problem whereby gcc and other low level programs cannot be
upgraded (even by root).  I have written about this before with varying
computer and "reinstall the operating system", as Microsoft says.  I
will not know what programs I have added, written, etc. over the years
that will be lost.  Will upgrading to 14.04 solve this issue?

Also what directories will be left alone?

John