rsync progress

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 05:52:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/9/28 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>
>

>> So far I have almost never got any answers to anything I asked here, so
>> here is the next exciting question:
>>
>> I have a script that runs rsync for backup from my internal drive to an
>> external one. It works great, but it would be nice to see the progress. It
>> doesn't necessarily need to be based on file size, I just want to get some
>> kind of hint what's going on.
>>
>> So I searched around and ended up with something like this, just for
>> testing if it works:
>>
>> LineCount=$(find /Some/Folder | wc -l)
>> rsync -anuv /Some/Folder /media/Backup/AnotherFolder/ | pv -l -e -p -s
>> ${LineCount}
>>
>> (pv – Pipe Viewer – needs to be installed first: apt-get install pv)
>>
>> What happens in my case is that all those lines from rsync are scrolling
>> and the last line is:
>> [===================================================================================================================>]
>> 100%
>>
>> Not very useful information if you ask me.
>> I expected no lines scrolling from rsync, but only a ”progress bar” and
>> the progress in % displayed. What am I missing?
>>

> I think I found the answer myself in a video tutorial on YouTube…
> I can just throw the output away:
> LineCount=$(find /Some/Folder | wc -l)
> rsync -anuv /Some/Folder /media/Backup/AnotherFolder/ | pv -l -e -p -s
> ${LineCount} > /dev/null
>
> Then the 100% thing is all I see. It seems like it doesn't update very
> often, that's why I only see 100%. I tried rsync with a much bigger folder
> and now I got different numbers, and it seems like they are displayed every
> second or so.
> Then I found pv's -i option:
>
> LineCount=$(find /Some/Folder | wc -l)
> rsync -anuv /Some/Folder /media/Backup/AnotherFolder/ | pv -l -e -p -s
> ${LineCount} -i 0.1 > /dev/null
>
> Now the numbers appear ten times per second. Nice!

You said you were using scripts, but if you decide you want to try your
hand at a graphical version, you might tinker with Zenity. Here's a place I
found (with a search) where someone was describing how to use Zenity's
progress bar, and it includes an example showing it with rsync.

http://www.davidverhasselt.com/2008/12/24/zenity-rsync-and-awk/

As you can see, it uses the --progress option in rsync and an awk script to
convert it to something Zenity could use. A person in the comments also
shared his version using perl instead of awk.

You might find some awk or perl piped transformations useful regardless.