Ubuntu server remote file access

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Sep 27 14:13:25 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 09:58 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> the password would be of sufficient that it would take billions of
> attempts to have a 50-50 chance of getting in.

How do I know my password is that good?  Because *I* don't choose my
password, urandom does.  I am not random enough, but urandom is.

I take random bits from Linux's high quality random number generator,
urandom, and use them.  No, I don't type the bits directly as my
password, I usually use 32 random bits to select three regular
dictionary words and type them. Easy to type three dictionary words, yet
if I use 32-bits there are 4-billion-plus combinations, and an attacker
has to try over 2-billion of them to have a 50-50 hope of breaking in.
If there is a limit on how fast these tests can be made (as there is
with ssd) this is good.  (Note: an encryption key that can be worked on
in parallel, has to use far more random bits and is very hard to manage.)

-kb