py2exe.py missing?

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Mon Sep 23 08:22:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-20 14:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 20 September 2013 08:29:39 Liam Proven did opine:
>
>> On 20 September 2013 05:39, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > But it needs py2exe.py to build it
>>
>> I know very very little Python and nothing about py2exe, but...
>>
>> Exe is the file type for DOS/Windows executables. They won't run on
>> Linux. If your program is trying to use py2exe, this implies it's a
>> Windows program.
>>
>> (Python runs on Windows; the fact that it's in Python doesn't mean
>> it's a Linux app.)
>>
>> Are you sure that you have the right version or that your program
>> works on Linux?
>
> The package I pulled was for the linux version, from the list on the
> home
> page at <http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html#download>.
> Its
> the left column, bottom file.  But I'll go dblcheck.  Yes, now I have
> 2
> identical copies of the src.zip for linux.
>
> I did not pull the python only, the right hand column because that
> one has
> no TTF support.
>
> Thank you Liam.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Gene,

You do not need to run py2exe. Unless you want to run the software on a
Windows PC that is, but I'm fairly sure you don't want that.
As someone already mentioned, cxfreeze does the same thing: create a
Windows executable. Useless for you.

To run the thing on linux, you can simply make the f-engrave-122.py
file executable (chmod 755 f-engrave-122.py) and then run it
(./f-engrave-122.py) from the command line. The program uses tkinter for
the graphics bits, and it requires Python version 2.6 or higher.

As for the true type fonts bit: the file TTF2CXF_STREAM/INSTALL.txt
shows some big hints.

It looks like the true type fonts do not come with this software, not
sure if it will find any, but I guess the way to find out is to run the
Python file. (The TTF support seems to be some sort of translation from
TTF to CXF fonts which is probably easier to turn into something a CNC
machine can understand).

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman