The launcher and .desktop files

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 09:03:21 UTC 2013

2013/9/21 Johny Provoost <johny.provoost at skynet.be>

> -------- Origineel bericht --------  Onderwerp: Re: The launcher and
> .desktop files  Datum: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:51:05 +0200  Van: Johny
> Provoost <johny.provoost at skynet.be> <johny.provoost at skynet.be>  Aan:
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> >> I compiled something and I want it in the launcher, so I ran the program,
> >> right clicked new icon in the launcher, then ?Keep in the launcher? (or
> >> something like that ? I run Ubuntu in Swedish).
> >>
> >> Now, the icon is named ?Namnl?st f?nster? (?Nameless window?) and the icon
> >> is a question mark. Of course I want a proper icon and a proper name for it
> >> and I guess clicking that ?Keep in launcher? thing created a .desktop file
> >> for me somewhere, right?
> >>
> >> So where is it? I want to edit it? I searched for it but I didn't find it
> >> because I don't know what to look for except .desktop. There is no .desktop
> >> file in my system named ?Namnl?st f?nster? or anything that I can think of.
> > I don't know whether that will have created a desktop file or not.  It
> > might not be called that, the name that it shows is from the Name=
> > entry in the file, not the name of the file.  If it did create one I
> > would expect it to be in .local/share/applications.  The best thing is
> > to make one there yourself.  Don't forget to make it executable.  Then
> > you can run it from nautilus in that folder (or search in the Dash)
> > and then pin it to the launcher.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> > ------------------------------
> >
> The '.desktop' files are on /usr/share/applications
> Here an example of the desktop file of a program I created for myself
> #!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Name=InfoBook 4.0
> Comment=Zelf Gemaakt Programma
> Exec="/home/johny/Gambas3/InfoBook4/InfoBook4.gambas"
> Icon=/home/johny/Icons/address_book.png
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> StartupNotify=true
> Name[nl_BE]=InfoBook 4.0
> -----------
> once you have a .desktop file you can find it in the Dash, and then you
> when started you can pin it to the unity bar.
>

> You can also try MyUnity (you find it in software center) to create a
> desktop file.
>
> Johny
>

> Sorry it's not MyUnity but 'Create Launcher'
>

> Johny

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I thought that pinning it to the launcher was permanent, but as someone
said, it's not, so now when I logged in this morning, my program wasn't
there anymore, so obviously I need to create my own desktop file, which is
something I have done before, but since I thought one was already created
when pinning it to the launcher, I thought I could just edit that one…

So well, I'll just create a desktop file and put it where it belongs.
I'll also take a look at ”Create Launcher” to see if it can help me
creating desktop files faster. Otherwise I guess I could write a simple
bash script that asks me for certain parameters and creates a desktop file
for me and put it at the right place.

Thanks again, everybody!

Johnny Rosenberg